Saturday 12 November 2016

Pre-Production Work: Front Cover Flatplans


These flatplans for my front cover were produced on InDesign to give myself an idea of what sort of layout I'd like to aim for in my construction of the magazine. All designs were made using stock images from the search engine Google.

While creating my flatplans, I decided I'd use a little slogan under the header to add a little something else to my magazine. I'm hoping 'Bringing new music to the blind ears' will help to show that my magazine has a primary focus on indie music - something that's different and not the generic stuff your ears become deaf to while it's playing through the radio all the time. 

Cover #1 has, what I believe, a clear layout. I made a conscious decision to keep colour at a minimum by using a black and white stock image, and white and blue writing. This colour layout seems to go well together, but does give the magazine a cold appearance - though this could be interpreted as mature and professional. 
Cover #2 I decided to make it minimalistic, with very little text. I quite like the general idea, but I think there's perhaps not enough empty space, or maybe too much. I'm really not a fan on the header font at all. It looked like it would work well as seen in my previous post of exploring fonts, but on this it looks more like it belongs on a magazine promoting joining the army.
I'm a fan on the colour scheme however, and also the general quirky appearance of the model. 
Cover #3 is something I'm particularly drawn towards. This cover pulls of minimalistic better than the previous attempt I think, and there's still the general quirky appearance through the makeup and props. I'm not completely sure if this cover would be okay to use for a music magazine however as the front cover doesn't make you think of music - but the header, and text all point to a music magazine. I'll have to think this one over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment